We are a friendly cooking forum for home cooks. Our home cooking forum offers easy dinner recipe ideas, home cooking help with photos, lively talk about cooking and much more. Find easy home cooked recipes for tonight and have some fun with our two home cooking contests. Trade your favorite easy recipe ideas while you discuss home cooking with others. Home Cooks Kitchen - something for everyone!

rheader

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:13 am

Do sunflower kernels go rancid? 
Kitchen Manager

Post Do sunflower kernels go rancid?
I bought a bag last week and wondered if they were like nuts where they can go bad after a period of time. The package says roasted and salted if that makes a difference. They haven't been opened yet because I was going to make some energy/fruit bars with them. Just wondering if I should put them in the freezer?

Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:51 am
Fry Cook

Post Re: Do sunflower kernels go rancid?
Yes, store them in the freezer!

Freezing them stops or dramatically slows down the deteriorating process.

The oil that is in them can spoil and go rancid, just like with peanuts, sesame seeds, walnuts and most cooking oils.

I keep walnut meats in the freezer and use them in baking breads, cakes and sticky buns.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:07 am
Grillmeister

I had no idea.
I better put my walnuts in the freezer as I am not going through them as quickly.
Good heads up thread for me.

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:11 am
Kitchen Manager

I knew about the walnuts, almonds and other nuts because alot of times I buy them in bulk and could never use them up fast enough. I wasn't aware about the sunflower kernels though.

Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:14 am
Fry Cook

Most of those kernels & nuts have oils in them - the same oils that you might use for cooking, and if all of those oils can spoil, and they could, then so can the kernels & nuts spoil as well.

No, they won't spoil as fast as milk will, but in time, they can give off a very unpleasant and sickening rancid smell that is overbearing and unbearable!

I know. I has some sesame seeds spoil on me at a time when I was making a Chinese dinner, and I couldn't use them. Ever since then, even the smallest jar of it goes in the freezer. It's one of those things where I don't enough of it to warrant letting it sit out for long periods.

I also have a very big restaurant / foodservice-size jar of sesame seeds that I've stored in the freezer for eons, and it's STILL in there, but I can bet you that it has not spoiled because of the extremely cold temps that keep the seeds from spoiling - holding them in suspension to keep them fresh as the day they were bought.

Same OIL can also spoil. Peanut oil is one of the most expensive oils around, but it can also spoil. Any oily product can spoil if measures aren't taken to extend the product life.

Try to remember the golden rule;

It it has oil, then it could spoil.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:30 am